Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Cooper Vision or Papier-mâché

I have recently been spending quite a bit of time researching logotypes. The rational behind that is that I would like to have my own blog's logo re-designed, but more on that later.

I have spotted CooperVision's new logo on one of my favorite brand identitiy websites, Brand New. It instantly stood out for me from thousands of others - wow, I thought - that is quite an example of excellent design.


But that was before I have learned what Cooper Vision actually does. At it turns out, it is a manufacturer of contact lenses that hasn’t enjoyed the mainstream consumer popularity of competing brands like Acuvue, Bausch+Lomb, or CIBA Vision. The minute I leaned this papier-mache eye belong to a eye lens manufacturer, my eyes starting burning. This might have been due to the 20 hours spent in front of a computer, but I am pretty sure the inappropriateness of the logo played its role.

But it gets even funnier. Not only the eye-made-out-of-paper guys make contact lenses, but they also specialize in stigmatism, presbyopia, and ocular dryness. Ocular dryness, something I have also experience after looking at their new brand identity package. Why of why would you like to be identified with anything cracked when you are trying to fight dryness?


However, to be fair, I have to admit I like the general watercolor theme of the new campaign. Not sure I would want watercolors in my eyes (anyone who paints knows that is anything but enjoyable), but the theme is esthetically pleasant.

Personal conclusion? Make sure the marketing team works at least half as hard as the designers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shop Blue Strawberry!